The Government tackles coronavirus in the budget!LexLeyton
Coronavirus was the first matter evoked by the Chancellor of the Exchequer today in his budget announcement.
This is hardly surprising given the impact that it is having across the UK and the globe.
Key points to note are:
- He confirmed that SSP will be paid from day 1 rather than from day 4;
- Small employers with fewer than 250 employees will be refunded for statutory sick pay that it pays to its employees for the first 14 days which will help with the financial strain these employers are feeling;
- Rather than going to the doctor, employee and workers will be able to get a sick note by contacting 111;
- Statutory sick pay will be paid to all employees who are advised to self-isolate even if they don’t have symptoms; and
- Business rates will be abolished for firms in the retail, leisure and hospitality sectors with a rateable value below £51,000
For the full summary of government’s tax and spending plans for the year ahead, please see here.
Lexleyton will of course update you as we receive more information.”